Tuesday, September 6, 2011

How Can I Cure the Medical Problems Ruining My Life?





To start, I'll introduce myself to the board: I am 16 years old and have a case of severe Hemophilia A. Having Hemophilia isn't a big deal, but I have other medical problems without medicine that are practically ruining my life.

The first is that I have chronic dry lips. I used to always have to put lip balm on about a year and a half ago (and keep reapplying a thick layer after drinking/eating), and even then my lips would always bother me even with it on. Now, I put on a fairly thick layer of Burt's Bees lip balm before bed and in the morning. If I go 24 hours without applying lip balm, my lips get severely chapped. My lips still always bother me with or without lip balm, and I also have that medical problem where the sides of my lips are chapped (there is a name, but I forget).

Next, my nose is always congested. I can always blow through it, and there's always a decent build-up of mucus. I can't comfortably breathe through it no matter how much I try to clean out my nostril, even after trying things such as a Neti Pot.

Finally, this is another huge problem for me: I always have to cough. I can't go a few sentences without coughing (if that many), and I always have a cough built up in my throat. Of course, it's uncomfortable and awkward (and takes away some of my confidence in speech, which is a really bad thing).

All of these symptoms combined make me very uncomfortable all-day long. I've had these symptoms for as long as I can remember, but they have gotten much more noticeable in the past four years. Nobody else I know is like this, and it's incredibly uncomfortable and discerning. The only time my throat is fine and I can breathe half-decently is when eating hot food.

Doctors in smaller offices have no idea how to fix these problems. The uncomfortableness and awkwardness of these are close to ruining my life. I'd really, really appreciate any medical advice. Are there names for these problems? Could one disease be causing all of them? Thanks so much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More